I love pasta! Especially when it is homemade. Homework has consumed my weekend and so what better way to take a break, than to make vegetarian lasagna? Here is the recipe, I didn’t use measure cups for the cheese, but I did for the salt, pepper and oregano. The best thing about this recipe is you could add meat to it or different veg, to make it your own.
This amount says it feeds 8.
12 lasagna noodles or more depending on pan size. (for 9×13?)
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups finely chopped broccoli
1 chopped onion
4 cloves minced garlic
1-1/3 cups fresh spinach (I used 1 24 oz package)
2 cups ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves (I used fresh, about 6 leaves)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 cups tomato pasta sauce (I used garlic and basil pasta sauce from Fresh and Easy)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. ( I put the water to boil but didn’t put the noodles in until the very end. They went from the pot to the pan for the oven.) Add lasagna noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
2. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook broccoli, onions, and garlic in olive oil until onions are tender.
3. Added the spinach to the large skillet and cooked for about 3-4 min.
4. Combine ricotta cheese, Romano cheese, spinach, salt, oregano, basil, pepper, and egg in a bowl. Add cooled spinach mixture. Mix everything together. (I used my hands) Lay lasagna noodles in bottom of a baking dish. Spread one third of the cheese/spinach mixture over noodles. Sprinkle 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese on top. Spread 1 cup spaghetti sauce over cheese. Repeat layering 2 times.
I used a 7×11 pan, and I had left over filling; for that size pan I used 9 noodles.
5. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven for 1 hour. Cool 15 minutes before serving. (I took the foil off about 10 min before it was done.)